kraft-tex Creations: Sew 18 Projects with Vegan Leather; Print, Stitch, Paint & Design
Sewing with kraft-texthe vegan leather everyone's talking about Print, paint, stamp, and stitch… it's never been so fun to design as it is with kraft-tex! Discover the incredibly durable paper that looks, feels, and wears like leather, but sews just like fabric. Modern designers share twelve clever kraft-tex projects plus six bonus ideas, from bags and wallets to coasters and embroidered bracelets, proving there's something for everyone. Whether or not you've used kraft-tex before, mixed-media artists and craft sewists will love its creative versatility.
- Meet kraft-tex, the rugged fabric-paper hybrid! Talented designers share twelve modern projects and six quick ideas, with illustrated how-tos and step-by-step photos
- Take a mixed-media approach to crafting when you print, paint, dye, and design
- Sew stylish! Create bags, pouches, wallets, and jewelry from vegan leather
Embellish It: 4 ways to embellish kraft-tex
Using a different surface design treatment for each (machine embroidery, appliqué, paint sticks, or photo printing), you can make fun and fresh zippy bags that are as unique as you! These Funky Zipper Pouches are by Linda Seemann-Korte.
Appliquéing your kraft-tex design is a breeze with the use of double-sided fusible web, a open-toe sewing machine foot, and your imagination.
Shiva Paintstiks are oil-based paints. They get a skin on them after use, which needs to be shaved off with a craft knife prior to use.
- Apply the paint from the first color stick directly onto the kraft-tex, and use a stiff round stencil brush to spread it and blend it. Continue in this manner with other colors, using a new brush for each color to ensure that the color is vibrant.
- Once you are finished designing, let the paint sit for 24 hours.
- Press with an iron to heat set it, being sure to cover the ironing surface and the top of the kraft-tex, so the paint does not end up on the iron or surface.
When machine embroidering, kraft-tex needs to be stabilized with fabric on the back. kraft-tex will get holes if it is stitched more than twice in one spot!
Choose a photo that you wish to have printed on kraft-tex. Insert an 8 × 11 sheet of kraft-tex into the printer. Print and repeat for the other sheet (second side of the bag).
About the Author
Lindsay Conner stumbled into sewing and quilting over a decade ago, though she has always been crafty. A writer and editor, Baby Lock ambassador, and pattern designer for many books and magazines, she lives in Indianapolis, Indiana, with her family. lindsaysews.com
- Page Count: 112
- Size: 8.03 x 0.37 x 9.93 inches